Recipe: Apple Red Onion Chutney
This apple red onion chutney recipe is a lovely way to add a touch of flair to a regular cheese and cracker/bread appetizer, or toppled on a pork loin to add a nice balance of flavor.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
Place olive oil in pan and add onions and ginger cook until soft.
Add mustard seed, ground ginger, allspice and apples and cook for 2 minutes.
Then add remaining ingredients and simmer for 25 minutes. Finish with some chopped Italian parsley.