Five Easy Changes for Weight Loss Results
By Brooke Whitley
Certified Personal Trainer
Fitness Nutrition Specialist
Gym Rat Ambassador
Gym Rat Ambassador
Summer is a short three months away in Reno and we all ought to start making changes now to be ready for it. Everyone is looking to rid the extra pounds around their waist, so give these few changes a try this spring:
- Eat a vegetable with every meal. Breakfast may be the one exclusion where a fruit is eaten instead of a vegetable. Either way, fruits and vegetables are both low in calories and a good source of fiber. Fiber in foods helps you fill up fast and keeps you feeling full. Every client I have worked with to lose weight is required to eat one large kale, spinach or arugula salad every day.
- Make exchanges. Losing weight does not have to mean that you never indulge in the foods you love. What does need to happen is this: you set a meal plan with vegetables, possibly healthy grains, healthy fats, and lean protein sources. After setting that plan, allow exchanges. If you want a piece of pizza, replace one or two of your other meals that day with the pizza; but make sure you are still at a similar intake of calories, protein, fats, and carbohydrates as you had originally allotted in your meal plan.
- Focus on liquids. Weight loss gurus have touted for years that we should avoid drinking calories. While I agree with this suggestion, liquids should still be an integral part of our nutrition. Water is best. Drink at least 2 liters a day or 67.6 fluid ounces. However, some of the most helpful liquid sources for weight loss include: green tea, brewed iced tea, hot tea, black coffee, and naturally flavored water. You may choose to sweeten with stevia as well.
- Pick one small treat you will allow yourself each day while cutting calories or following a strict meal plan. Examples could be: Caramel Rice Cakes, Sugar Free Jello with Cool Whip, Power Oatmeal Muffins with dried fruit and vanilla protein powder, Green Apple with Almond Butter or Caramel Sauce, Crackers with Brie Cheese and anything that makes you feel satisfied and not completely restricted. The idea is to be mindful of the food choices you are making without being too strict. The worst mindset for long-term weight loss is an all-or-nothing mentality.
- Food prep or purchase some prepared items for your fridge at home and at work. Grill chicken, lean steak, and vegetables on Sundays or your day off. Bake sweet potato, zucchini, cauliflower, or any of your favorite vegetable so you can nibble during the week. Consider local meal prep services to prepare one or two of your daily meals for the work week.
I hope this was helpful and I look forward to seeing you all in the coming warmer weather. Start with a couple of my top suggestions and you will be well on your way to a slimmer waist.
Strong Mind, Strong Body!
Over 1,000 customers have been a part of our meal programs. Learn more by giving Roundabout Catering & Party Rentals a call at 775-747-2090.